Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What is a triptych - part 1



TRIPTYCH, trip'tik, n. a picture in three compartments, side by side.

The above is one from a series with more coming to be posted here, and maybe more made after that. I just like riding some work into the ground. Quadtych? Quantych? Decatych? Are they even words?

I was so pissed 16 years ago at my U/D painting teacher, I brought in 3 paintings to fullfill some quota that was established for finished complete paintings for that quarter/three months of classes, he declared they only counted as one project as he defined them to be a triptych; one picture in three parts.
So he was right, technically. In the end, due to taking 2 U/D Painting classes and 1 U/D drawing class all at the same time (the Drawing and one of the Painting classes w/ the same professor for both classes), I ended up painting 28 complete finished oil painting in 3 months, ended up in the student show for the third year, got invited to a lot of faculty parties and introduced to a lot of local gallery owners, and last time I heard from that professor, he was slightly disappointmented that I became a commercial artist.

A lot of info no one cares about...

I guess I will have to wait and see if the following two posts lead to a triptch or not, or if they are just pretty pictures I am posting to fill the spaces between the servers.

No comments: