Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Grandmother

Stella Bernice Brock Chubb passed away today at age 91. She was my friend, my ally, my grandmother.
She helped teach me to read using Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck comic books and a tape recorder. She made me tollhouse chocolate chip cookies. She watched over me and believed in me. I could not have asked for a better grandmother.
I am stuck for a way to fully honor her, to show my appreciation for all the tiny and huge things she did with me and for me in my life time.
All I have right now is this. A few words to send out over the internet, a few words to say she is now gone. A few words to say she existed.
...
She was born in 1918. She got married at 16 and was married for over 70 years, I think. She wished more people in her life had called her, "Stella," but most people called her Bernice, or "B."
She was,.. and now all I have that is tangible of her are photos of her. Maybe also, this right here in my art blog, for however long the internet sticks around.

I just wanted to say a little about her, get my grief out right now. Do something as I cannot do much else being so far away from my family.

No comments: